You decided to start another chapter in your life – parenthood. You probably have lots of questions that are running in your head. But first, there are some things that you must remember for you to have a good and healthy pregnancy.
Adopt a healthy lifestyle.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. Make sure you stock your fridge with healthy food.
- Regular exercise. Some women are already physically active before pregnancy and some are not. Exercise 3 or more times a week.
- Don’t smoke, drink alcohol and do not use recreational drugs. Make sure you get some help if you’re having trouble in these aspect. If you really want to stop, there’s a way and there’s always someone that can help. These will bring really bad effects to your baby if you will not stop using them.
- Health problems under control. If you have health problems like diabetes or hypertension that are not controlled, follow up with your primary healthcare provider first. These health conditions can affect your pre and post pregnancy.
- Take your prenatal vitamins. This will help in the development of a healthy baby.
- Watch your weight. Some women are being advised to be within 15 pounds of their ideal weight to have a healthy pregnancy.
- Get recommended vaccines.
- Keep track of your menstrual cycle. It helps you know the best time to get pregnant. Also, it can help your doctor figure out when your baby is due.
- Make an appointment with your OB-GYNE. Your doctor can answer any questions you may have about conceiving. If you are taking birth control pills or any birth control method, when is the best time to stop them? You can also ask special care if you have chronic health problems, diabetes and hypertension. If you are worried about taking over-the-counter medicines, you can ask your doctor if they are safe to take.
Important: Make sure you get regular prenatal care as soon as you learned that you are pregnant.